[Callers] Gypsies

Neal Schlein via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Oct 25 20:41:14 PDT 2015

Like Ron, I use loop in other places, such as teaching a hey.

My big problem with "loop," however, is that it doesn't imply two things in
close proximity that are moving in mirror tandem--looping is a loose, outer
edge, expansive movement and word.  You loop around a stationary person
(cast off), you loop wide in a promenade, you loop around the end of a hey
(take time, don't rush it!), you bring the lady around a stationary gent in
a Cowboy Loop, or you loop to the left in a Grapevine Twist.  Someone who
is loopy is a little off-balance, crazy, being silly, or otherwise acting
in an out-of--the-ordinary manner.  For a figure, all of that implies an
outward-oriented and wide-based motion quite distinct from the Gypsy's
actual feel.

Unfortunately, I don't have another proposal at this time.  Mirror seems
applicable, but that's in use already.

I'd also like to throw another consideration into the ring.  Changing the
name and teaching methods can alter the dancer's perception, experience,
and execution of the figure.  Shakespeare posited that "a rose by any other
name would smell as sweet," but Juliet probably would not be very inclined
to buy, plant, and then sniff a "dung bush;" clearly his argument only goes
so far from a marketing perspective.   "Seesaw" is infinitely more fun than
a mere "left dosado," both to say and hear, and the contra Gypsy feels
different from the square dance walk around--even though they are arguably
the same exact move.

Neal

Neal Schlein
Youth Services Librarian, Mahomet Public Library

Currently reading: *The Different Girl* by Gordon Dahlquist
Currently learning: How to set up an automated email system.

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 8:42 PM, Kalia Kliban via Callers <