[Callers] Advice about "gypsy"

Masha Goodman Crawford via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sat Oct 24 10:09:15 PDT 2015

I've been dancing & calling for almost 40 years, and I lived with Romani and other travelling peoples in England and Ireland for most of the 1980s.  Times change and meanings change, and it's time to change this.  Some people consider this the equivalent of using the "N" word. Within the community it can be used in certain contexts even with pride, but use by outsiders to describe a move like this could be considered highly offensive.  AND please note that the name is not the only thing that could be considered offensive about this move.  The offense will not go away until callers stop instructing people to flirt with each other.  "Stare longingly into the eyes..." of that total stranger?  YUCH.  Yes, I find the call and the move offensive on several levels, to the extent that I never call it, and will not join in a dance that I know includes it.