[Callers] Dances For Short Line

Jack Mitchell via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Oct 15 18:41:23 PDT 2015

I would think that most dances would work fine with 5-6 sets.  That's
normal length for a lot of dances.  I had assumed you were talking about
2-3 hands 4.  Personally, I would call whatever you would call anyway, and
just run the dances a bit shorter than usual.  Where you might go for 15
minute slots (start to start) maybe take than down to closer to 10
minute....or just watch a couple and get them down and back again.

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 9:37 PM Laur via Callers <

> I'm more thinking lines with maybe 5 or 6 sets, the smaller groups I think
> I have an understanding of, but I'm sucking in any other observations, of
> course.
>
> Would medley's work for a smaller line?

> ~ When I dance, I cannot judge, I cannot hate, I cannot separate myself
> from life. I can only be joyful and whole, that is why I dance. ~Hans Bos~ ~
>

> On Thursday, October 15, 2015 9:35 PM, Jack Mitchell <
> jmitchell.nc at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> If the numbers work out, then some triplets or squares could be good.  If
> it's a lot of new dancers, you could even do some dances that just the top
> couple is "active" like the virginia reel or galopade (or lots of other
> older dances).  If you have lots of experienced dancers, you could either
> do medleys or run the dances much shorter than usual.  Also, it can be a
> good time to do an unequal dance since everyone will have time to be 1's --
> was calling in Greenwood, VA for a relatively small group -- maybe 4 -5
> hands 4 -- and called Fiddleheads for the first time.  Such a great dance.

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 7:49 PM Laur via Callers <
>
> Fellow callers, what are things to look for in dances for a short line.
> I'm afraid that a limited number of dancers will be at an upcoming gig and
> I want to be prepared in the best possible way, and so am looking for input
> and for confirmation of my thoughts. They are intermediate/ experienced
> dancers.
>
> Laurie P
> West MI
>
> ~ When I dance, I cannot judge, I cannot hate, I cannot separate myself
> from life. I can only be joyful and whole, that is why I dance. ~Hans Bos~ ~
>
> --
> Jack Mitchell
> Durham, NC

Jack Mitchell