[Callers] Rolling Starts?

Don Veino via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Oct 6 08:47:27 PDT 2015

I experienced a wonderful spontaneous rolling start recently.

We were in a small private party venue and fortunate to have Amy
Richardson-Larkin (fiddle), her husband Jonathan Larkin (guitar, etc.) and
Chris Ricciotti (yes - not only a caller, he plays button accordion)
playing for us.

I was teaching a new dance of mine in a fairly rhythmic fashion and noticed
the band start slipping in behind me quietly fitting a tune. No verbal or
visual communication with them, it was more just a growing awareness of the
possibility being offered to me. With it being a new dance, and therefore
one I hadn't called before, I was a bit worried about going for it with the
one walk-through. So I kept the momentum and matched pace straight into one
more round of walk-through-like calls with them playing subtly in the
background (offer accepted!) and went for it. It just flowed wonderfully
and was rewarded with smiles all around. Great musicians make it look easy.
:)

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 4:07 AM, JD Erskine iDance via Callers <