[Callers] Rolling Starts?

Jack Mitchell via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Fri Oct 2 09:11:28 PDT 2015

If the band can play a repeated 8 count chord progression from which they
can easily go into the top of the tune, it gives you a phrase to call to,
but if you need to slow down, or fix something, you have that option too --
then you can just get yourself back on the phrase.  Other than the fact
that I flubbed the first call of the dance, I am pretty happy with the one
in this video of me with Atlantic Crossing.  It wasn't a planned thing (and
planning is definitely a good idea the first time you do it.  In
particular, planning how you will cue the band in, whether you want them to
actually do potatoes, or just use your first call (WITH your NEIGHbor
BALance NOW, with some good punch) as the potatoes.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq1tKJb7z-Q

At it's best, it gives you a chance to do two walk thrus if needed, without
the dancers feeling like you're doing too much teaching.  The first time,
you can be teaching completely off the phrase, or the band can sneak in
halfway through the first time.  Then the second time, you move to being
more on the phrase.  Once you're on the phrase, you have effectively agreed
with the band on a tempo and can stick with that as you move into the
dance, so there's really not a need for actual potatoes.  As long as you
have your sign worked out with the band (beating the last 4 beats with your
hand, calling with some punch for the first call, patting the top of your
head (to indicate that you're coming up on the top of the dance) or
whatever.)  Please note, that if you don't have things worked out with the
band, it can be pretty messy and awkward.  Rather similar to the first time
I tried to do one -- the band just started playing a bit under the walk
through and I had no clue of how to cue them in!

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 12:01 PM Dave Casserly via Callers <

> I also like rolling starts.  One of my bands has a few sets where we
> greatly prefer it, and try to work with callers to make it happen.
>
> What has worked well for me in the past is having a tune where the start
> of the dance can happen every two bars or so (in other words, a tune that
> is not harmonically complicated).  Making walkthrough prompts in time with
> the music, but not giving a particular set amount of time to each call
> seems to work well.  Dances that end with a move that can be extended
> (allemande, swing, etc) can help sync if you need that extra beat or two.
> I've found that rolling starts work well with a dance that starts with a
> balance, as that can make it very clear where the dance starts.  Otherwise,
> asking the band for four soft potatoes at the end of the rolling start can
> be helpful.
>
> Hope that helps!
> -Dave
>
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Maia McCormick via Callers <
>
>> I think that rolling starts (seamless transition from walkthrough into
>> the dance, as the band just starts playing music during the walkthrough)
>> are super neat if done properly! But I'm still not quite sure how to do
>> them properly. So I ask you all:
>> 1) tips on how to execute a rolling start well, making sure all the
>> dancers are on board etc.?
>> 2) thoughts on what dances/tunes will/won't work well with a rolling
>> start?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Maia

> --