[Callers] Gypsy perception

Aahz Maruch via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Nov 2 07:42:11 PST 2015

On Mon, Nov 02, 2015, Donald Perley wrote:

> It often seems like people on contra email lists and facebook get more
> joy from seeking problems to fix it through political correctness than
> they do from dancing itself.

I'm sure it seems that way to *you*.  Then again, I'm sure you used the
same argument style thirty years ago when people started complaining
about "faggot".

Perhaps you might want to consider that some of us get joy out of
bringing more people into contra dancing, and part of the way we do that
is to make contra dancing more welcoming and inclusive.

Just to be clear: I am not -- yet -- arguing that we *should* change
"gypsy", I'm simply poking holes in the arguments of people who ridicule
this discussion.

I have to admit that technically your argument is correct WRT me, but
that's because I haven't been contra dancing at all (except for Queer
Contra Dance Camp).  Instead, I've been focusing my time/energy on
learning to call MWSD, which leaves this as my only outlet for contra
dancing.  ;-)
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/