[Callers] Gypsy

Aahz Maruch via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Nov 1 16:07:25 PST 2015

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015, Tom Hinds via Callers wrote:

> I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY WANT TO KNOW, who on this list believe that
> contra dancers have a negative view of the Romani people because of
> the word gypsy?  Anyone?

You've got broken logic.  The question isn't whether using "gypsy"
generates negative stereotypes but whether using the word reminds people
of existing negative stereotypes and whether the people referred to by
the word have negative reactions to the use of the word.

Using words such as "kike" and "nigger" and "spic" and "cunt" don't cause
negative views, either.  But try using those words when you're calling,
let us know how that works for you.

Regardless of whether "gypsy" as a figure refers to Romani, it's clear
that "dance gypsy" does refer to stereotypes about the Romani.  Using
"gypsy" for the figure is therefore much more likely to appear to be
referencing stereotypes, regardless of intent.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/