[Callers] dances in unusual formations

James Saxe via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Nov 1 13:14:11 PST 2015

Jacob Bloom mentioned this dance:

> Borrowdale Exchange - Scatter mixer
> Formation: three couples in circle
>
> Circle left, Circle right
> Forward and Back, partner dosido
> Hands-across right hand star.  Starting with the two people whose hands are lowest, each pair pulls their partner to them for a swing
> Promenade with your new partner to make new sets

I've also seen something similar where dancers mix only
within their group of three couples (eventually getting
original partners back) and throughout the whole hall.
You can see a version called by Phil Jamison (under the
name "Pull the Lady Through") here:

     http://squaredancehistory.org/items/show/301
     (also at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm5KTs-yTI8 )

And here's an archived message where I described (as best I
remembered it) a version I danced to the calling of Dolores
Heagy:

     http://lists.sharedweight.net/pipermail/callers-sharedweight.net/2014-March/007599.html

Jacob also mentioned:

> Billingsdale Pattern - Chip Hendrickson
> Two couples in line, women back to back
>
> Hey for four
> Dosido partner, Swing
> Right hand star, Left hand star
> Ladies Allemande R once and a half, Allemande L Neighbor.  Start with Ladies back to back first two times, Gents back to back second two times.

On page 81 of _Zesty Contras_, Larry Jennings describes both
"Billingsdale Pattern" and his own variant of it, titled
"Chippendal Ornament".)

--Jim