[Callers] dances in unusual formations

Kalia Kliban via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Nov 1 09:37:35 PST 2015

On 11/1/2015 5:12 AM, Donna Hunt via Callers wrote:
> Thanks everyone for great ideas.
> It was late when I posted my request and I should mention that this is
> an English/Contra crossover weekend (Princeton Country Dancers Head for
> the Hills).
>
> I'm definitely looking for dances that don't fit a genre and appeal to
> contra dancers (ie swings and not too much inactivity).  Am open to
> "barn" dances if there's something unusual (but not too much sashaying).

Check out "Banjo In A Bear Suit" by Brooke Friendly and Chris Sackett.
It's a square set ECD, set to a challenging rag tune (definitely give
the tune to the band in advance).  Contra dancers would have plenty to
chew on in that dance.  It's in Impropriety vol IV, available from
CDSS,, and the companion CD has a great recording of the tune.

This video has the tune being used for a contra:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp_pKOpn0mA

Chris Weiler, if you're reading, or anyone else with a searchable
database, what was the dance?
Becket
Balance ring and spin to the R
N allemande L 1-1/2