[Callers] Jets / rubies genderfree terms redux: gems?

Maia McCormick via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sat May 30 16:03:14 PDT 2015

I would just like to point out to the group that this topic was originally
very specific in scope. Ron asked a very specific question, and one of
concrete use for those of us who call gender-free, to which several people
responded to before the thread devolved into a discussion of whether or not
we should use gender neutral terminology in contra at all.

So I would urge folks, for all emails on this listserv but perhaps
especially those about gender-free terminology, to *answer the question
that was asked*. If you disagree with the premise of the question, then do
not respond to the thread, or if you feel you really must say something,
put your comments in a separate thread with a different topic. But if I ask
whether people prefer seitan or tempeh, responding with your opinions about
why vegetarianism is silly doesn't get us any further towards answering the
original question, and only serves to derail the conversation.

I completely understand people's exhaustion with large-scale debates about
whether or not we need gender-free terminology, what those role names
should be, etc. I also think these discussions are silly and that this
listserv will simply never reach a consensus on the topic. But these
discussions should not be conflated asking specific, concrete, and helpful
questions about gender-free terminology and calling. If we avoid turning
the latter into the former, maybe we can reduce listserv fatigue around
this topic.

Thanks,
Maia

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 3:37 PM, Michael Fuerst via Callers <