[Callers] Painting the bikeshed (was Jets / rubies genderfree terms redux: gems?)

Aahz Maruch via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sat May 30 13:16:01 PDT 2015

On Sat, May 30, 2015, Michael Fuerst via Callers wrote:

> If a our group of like minded people can't agree on terms to use
> when teaching relatively straightforward dances, can we expect a
> nation to agree on such trivial issues like use of force by police,
> national health insurance, income distribution, and money's influence
> in elections

Actually, that may not be a good comparison.  There are two forces in
discussions like these that are both somewhat in opposition and somewhat
combining:

First is the tendency to "bikeshed" -- obsessing over trivial details
because we can.  (See the Wikipedia link below.)

The second tendency is to obsess over language because language matters.
If you need convincing of this, I strongly recommend reading _The
Everyday Language of White Racism_ by Jane Hill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson's_law_of_triviality
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/