[Callers] Jets / rubies genderfree terms redux: gems?

Erik Hoffman via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Fri May 29 08:31:48 PDT 2015

We are still using larks and ravens at the Berkeley dance. And, though I
don't seem to have too much trouble using different words for different
dances -- so far I've used men/women, ladies/gents, bands/bares,
trees/squirrels, and larks/ravens without changing my mess of dance
notes -- I understand that others can't switch so easily. On this note,
at the Berkeley dance a caller recently did the following:

1) asked if anyone had some post-its. When found some
2) wrote "lark" and "raven" on the sticky end
3) cut out these little cheat-sheets
4) covered the words "gents" and "ladies" with the post-it cheats
5) move cheats to next card as needed

Thereby changing their cards to the current words on the fly. I was
impressed.

~erik hoffman
     oakland, ca