[Callers] Chinese Fan from Square dance

Neal Schlein via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon May 4 14:47:06 PDT 2015

I believe the dance doesn't exist yet, Jeff.  I am curious about the 4x4
implementation as well, however; it might work just fine, or it might wear
out the novelty quickly.  Chinese Fan would show spectacularly in a waltz
quadrille.

You're close on your interpretation of the figure; that's the effect it
has, but is not quite how it happens.  What actually occurs are a pair of
mini-stars on the outside around the central star.

It isn't a hard move at all; in fact, it's probably easier to learn and
execute correctly than a right and left thru.

1.  Star Promenade (men keep the star and never stop moving.)
2.  The first and third ladies (heads) step out AS IF to backtrack--but
they don't want to go very wide or get to go very far.  It's more like a
cast off than a backtrack, except they keep in close.
3.  The head ladies immediately hook elbows with the trailing side ladies
to make two-person stars (elbow hook because an allemande makes the
circumference a bit large for comfortably maintaining an even speed and
tension).  They turn those mini-stars halfway so the heads can rejoin the
star promenade, and then the side ladies fold in behind with the incoming
gent.  That puts both ladies with their opposite.

If you call Chinese Fan such that the mini stars are longer, folks end up
back with their partners.  With skilled dancers you can do that
intentionally just by adding an extra four counts of patter in.  At speed,
the ladies wind up turning 1 and 1/2 times, the men go all the way around,
and that is perfectly legitimate for the caller to do.

What makes the timing tricky is that this is a traditional square dance
move, and not a modern squares or contra dance move; squares aren't set to
the phrase of a 16 bar tune, the calls themselves are constructed
differently, the dancers don't know exactly what is coming when, and the
figures have some give in them.  This thing technically takes 6 counts to
complete--but absolutely no one is going to dance it that fast or count it
that way unless they are hyped up on sugar or have drilled it like crazy
for precision performance (that's how I learned it).  In reality, though,
we wouldn't teach it with the counts.  The majority of dancers will
naturally take 8 to 10 counts for each fan, plus some time between the
two.    (Note: at 6 counts per plus a 4 count recovery, two renditions of
the Chinese Fan comes to exactly 16 counts, and moves everyone 1/2 of the
way around the circle!)

For contra-type settings, things are a little different.  Because of the
predictability of the dance and the musical structure, I'd say that with
careful teaching it can reliably be an 8 count sequence per fan, plus time
to recover between them.

Chinese Fan isn't actually a MWSD figure to the best of my knowledge.  Even
if it were active, it would be considered a traditional or
traditional-style move.  It very well may be a post-1950s creation, and
could have been originally published by Sets in Order, but is very much in
line with the older material found in Colorado and the inner-mountain
West.  The things that have been generally shifted into contra are modern
figures with linear structures and short, punctuated movement like box
circulate, scoot back, swing thru, square thru, box the gnat, flutterwheel
(in the form of star promenades), and cross trail thru (although that one
makes me a little sad when I see it taught as a linear figure or in crowded
halls; it deserves more movement and flow than it gets).

Neal Schlein
Youth Services Librarian, Mahomet Public Library

Currently reading: *The Different Girl* by Gordon Dahlquist
Currently learning: How to set up an automated email system.

>>> claire