[Callers] Itty-bitty dances, triplets, odd numbers

JD Erskine via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun May 3 23:30:41 PDT 2015

On 03/May/15 12:53, Kalia Kliban via Callers wrote:
> I just called a tiny dance last night, and went through several of my
> triplets along with a big pile of English 3-couple dances
snip

Hullo Kalia,

I've called Mary Devlin's Triplet To Eugene a number of times. Looking
over Triplet for Joyride again just now. I think I'll add that, as it
has Actives turning _all_ Corners (your own and your partners.)

http://www.mdevlin.com/dance/marys_dances.html

I like Melanie's Triplet, by Melanie Axel-Lute, and Ted’s Triplet #7.

Antony has a nice find-dance-by-formation search feature on his site
http://www.heywood.nl/antony/dances/formations.php

Michael's dance index site has a page for Formations. The legend is at
the foot of the landing page.
http://www.ibiblio.org/contradance/index/index.html

I've been meaning to try out (real world test) Rick Mohr's Triplets 1 &
2 http://rickmohr.net/Contra/DancesByType.asp

At the (late and lamented) Raincoast Ruckus Contra weekend (Vancouver,
BC) a few years back Kathy Anderson had a session about dances for this
purpose. Those for odd numbers of dancers or couples. Unfortunately the
notes have gone adrift, however she might be amenable to a query.
http://www.contradancelinks.com/callers.html

I regularly mine the Ralph Page Legacy Weekend syllabi
http://www.library.unh.edu/find/archives/collections/ralph-page-dance-legacy-weekend

The index alone is worth the time visiting.

Since I call for what might be considered a variety of dance forms,
styles, types, I don't mind borrowing. Occasionally, when I think I'm
being rather loose with that, it's amusing to find some of these dances
have migrated back and forth quite some time ago. Shows, I guess, how
there are more views of categorisation (or lack thereof) than what one
hears right around one.

Anyway, the point is, I think there are loads of really fun dances in
the Ceilidh or eCeilidh (English Ceilidh) world. Many of them would
appear to be step-hopped older country dances, or ones written In The
Tradition. <grin> Australian Bush dances provide a few as well. Yes, a
number are once-and-to-the-bottom.

So I mine Thomas Green, John Brown, Peter Foster, & Brian Scowcroft's sites.
http://barndances.org.uk/
http://www.ceilidhcalling.co.uk/ (seems to be temporarily goofed)
http://pfoster.pcug.org.au/bushdanc/index.htm
http://web.archive.org/web/20010708002003/www.scroft.demon.co.uk/CDance.html

Just had a look in at Geoff Cubitt's site. He's got a lone, cute triplet
in there. I'll have to go over the flow in and out of the final Stars to
decide if I really like it.
http://www.geoffcubitt.com/dances.htm

Colin has amongst his on-line dances, some for 2, 3, 4, and 5 couples.
http://colinhume.com/instruct.htm

Peggy Roe in Vancouver, BC, wrote Triplicate a few years ago. It's an
"ECD" piece for 3, longways (3 dancers in a line.) She used Corelli's
Maggot, however one might try other music. It's setting, gypsy, turns, heys.

Mellisa Binde wrote a few Odd Dances for SCD. I can't find them on-line
however had saved the Spinster & The Polygamous Reel (the latter is kind
of neat, a dance for one man and two women; in sets of five people.) I
haven't danced them, just kept them about out of interest.

When I hung out at the SCD class at the local Uni. a few years ago there
were some months we'd pray for a sixth person or just dance five with a
ghost anyway. The bulk of SCD dances are triple minor dances done in a
four couple set. We'd do these without the fourth couple following the
SCD pattern in this instance of the active couple "dropping to the
bottom of the set" as the new 1s started, a rather untidy final
progression I suppose. So, one might adapt any triple minor one likes
for use with three couples (whether it be from ECD, SCD, or "ACD"/Contra.)

Right, bed time.

Cheers, John
- two May Day Morris dance events done, one to go!
--
J.D. Erskine
Victoria, BC

Island Dance - Folk & Country