[Callers] Itty-bitty dances, triplets, odd numbers

Kalia Kliban via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun May 3 12:53:53 PDT 2015

I just called a tiny dance last night, and went through several of my
triplets along with a big pile of English 3-couple dances that we did to
old-time tunes (that was a little weird for me but the dancers enjoyed
them, so what the heck).  I was grateful to have the few triplets I had,
and I'd like to expand my collection.  The ones I used were
Microchasmic, David's Triplet #7 and Ted's Triplet #24, which all have
distinctive bits in them (contra corners, round two/drop through, and a
cast to invert then 1s lead up, respectively).  I like triplets that
have some choreographic substance to them, something for the dancers to
chew on.

Do you have favorites you enjoy dancing as well as calling?  I get the
impression sometimes that triplets are "that thing you do to fill time
until the real dancing starts," but 3-couple sets can be a whole lot of
fun.  And sometimes they can save your butt as a caller.

We had lots of odd numbers last night, so in addition to the triplets
and 3-couple English dances I used dances like Domino 5 (5 dancers) and
Pride of Dingle (for 9).  For a short while we had 4 couples and did
contras but most of the evening was "other."  Got any good dances for
odd numbers?

Kalia