[Callers] Definition, description

JD Erskine via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sat May 2 22:11:22 PDT 2015

On 02/May/15 17:47, Amy Wimmer via Callers wrote:
> I collected a dance recommended by someone and do not quite understand
> part of it. I need a description of what the gents are doing in B2
> when they "loop over their left shoulder." Can you 'splain me?
>
> Catch a Falling Star, by Melanie Axel-Lute
>
> A1 Nbr B&S
> A2 Cir L 3/4
>        Ptr sw
> B1 LLF&B
>       Star R (hands across)
> B2 Bal star, ladies pull by to trade places while gents loop over
> their left shoulder
>       Star L (hands across)
>
> Thanks!
> -Amy

Hullo Amy,

Yup.

At the end of the A2 the men are in their progressed places and return
to them after every action they take in the B parts. The women finalise
their progression with the diagonal pull-by.

The bit you're asking about for the men is a Turn Single - Left (CCW).

This is a loop over their left shoulder and back to where they started
it, a "go around a pizza/sewer hole/round piano stool" move.

No other movement or change of position like one would find in a
Petronella turn. More a loop than a pivot or sharp turn on one's own axis.

Like so much of dancing it is a burn-up time figure, in this case 4
beats or 2 bars.

As a style/enjoyment point I'd teach the Stars (certainly the first one)
with a hand-shake grasp. Compared to a pack-saddle/wrist-hold type it is
nicer to balance a Star with and allows for the ladies to retain their
grasp without having to switch it, for their pull-by. It also lets the
men get free without any rearrangement of limbs.

Here is a handy page about elements of dance at The Round
http://round.soc.srcf.net/dances/elements

Cheers, John
--
J.D. Erskine