[Callers] How to explain the charms of square dances (was More on Programming)

Martha Wild via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sat Jun 27 14:53:42 PDT 2015

I don't call squares often - it is a different feel than calling contras, and for our contra dance, I would want to be better at it to do it regularly (of course, if I did it I'd get more practice). But I do often call visiting squares like the Grapevine Twist or Birdie in the Cage for barn dances. I've even done them with 5 couples because that's what I had and it works fine as a pentagon. For beginners it is useful for them to watch the other couples do the figure so that they catch on by the time they do it. The kids in particular love Birdie in the Cage and tweet and caw when it's their turn. So I find those good opportunities for the visiting squares.

I have to say that my one critique as a dancer of  square dances is that it's easier to be gracious and helpful and forgiving in contra where you dance with beginners or people who have never quite got it only one time through the music and then pass them on. In squares I have seen people get really irritated at being stuck with people who never ever seem to get it well enough to allow the rest of the folks to do the square right once. It's hard on the people who are making the mistakes, and it's hard on the people who are impatient, and on everyone else in the set experiencing this. So I see ill will more frequently in squares and I think that's why some people just don't want to do them. Of course, perhaps the caller in these cases chose squares too difficult for the group - unfortunately, more often the first dancers to square up are the better dancers, and that square in the back the caller can barely see is half newcomers and falls apart throughout the dance while the square they are watching is having a wonderful time. Not sure what to do about these issues.

Martha