[Callers] More on Programming

Aahz Maruch via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sat Jun 27 13:35:37 PDT 2015

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015, George Mercer via Callers wrote:

> Not disagreeing with anything but explaining that when I tell dancers
> "squares are just like contras only you have to listen" I am not so much
> characterizing one or the other, but asking, even begging, the dancers to
> pay attention to what the caller is calling. Many contra dancers are
> notoriously bad listeners, especially experienced ones and they tend to set
> an example for inexperienced dancers, good and bad.  Noit listening in a
> contra can lead to problems. Not listening in a square is often an outright
> disaster.  That's all.

...and speaking as someone who does both contra and MWSD, I'll stick
myself in the "notoriously bad listener" camp at contra dances.  OTOH,
in all fairness, most contra callers are considerably more difficult to
understand than square dance callers.  (Partly due to sound being
directed more at good music sound.)

I'm probably not the only person with that habit.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/