[Callers] How to explain the charms of square dances (was More on Programming)

Tom Hinds via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sat Jun 27 06:38:20 PDT 2015

Yes you are correct, pointing out the benefits of squares is a much
better option than telling them to stay home.  I included that
comment in hopes that callers might consider being less afraid of
what dancers think.  I have no illusions that others would say that
to a dancer.

One aspect that makes squares attractive is the changing patterns.
For myself and others, dancing choreography that wasn't walked
through is very enjoyable.  And changing the pattern doesn't have to
be challenging.

For partner changing squares there's a certain satisfaction/challenge
in performing the choreography well as a group and ending with your
partner again.  Picking the correct square for this is crucial-not
too easy and not too hard.

Some people enjoy dancing squares to music where the phrasing is less
distinct.  It's hard for me to describe but it's like dancing without
holding back.  Or could it be described as charging ahead?  Perhaps
some of you can describe this gooder than I can.  This works well
with driving old time music.

Although I don't enjoy the visiting couple type square, I understand
that there are a number of groups who enjoy these types of squares
with very fast music.  In central Virginia there're getting large
turnouts.  I'm told that most of these dancers are young and not
contra dancers.  I often hear of other groups in the country where
young dancers are discovering squares.  Is this the future?