[Callers] Giving Weight

Amy Wimmer via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Fri Jun 26 11:44:09 PDT 2015

Interesting. I've never seen the grapevine step done in square dancing, but
I come from the International Folk Dancing tradition, where we learned a
lot of Israeli dances that had the grapevine step. We carried it into other
dances because it was fun. I danced with a whole bunch of hippies back in
the 70s and they exaggerated ALL the steps, and that one had us flying
around the circles, our legs making giant arcs in the air.

When I first started contra dancing I did the grapevine step out of habit.
I quit when I realized I was the only one doing it.

-Amy
Seattle now, Deming then.

On Jun 26, 2015, at 6:21 AM, Read Weaver via Callers <

Are you asking about grapevine step? A twisting step, where you alternate
the right foot going in front of and behind the left as you walk sideways.
It’s how circles (of 4 or 8) are done in modern western square dancing, and
in the last several years increasingly seen, to the dismay of all
right-thinking people, on contra dance floors.

Read Weaver
Jamaica Plain, MA
http://lcfd.org