[Callers] More on Programming

Cary Ravitz via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Jun 24 19:34:52 PDT 2015

Why swings in every dance - because that is a huge part of the contra
experience, a swing with the person that you asked to dance.

Why should the partner swing follow the neighbor swing - because this is an
art form, not an exercise routine. The storyline of a contra is the uniting
of partners, not the the breaking up of partners (that's my preference
anyway). And in practical terms, I want to be with my partner at the end of
a dance to thank them quickly before finding another partner.

"Squares are just like contras, only you have to listen" - this is not
correct.

Some things that people to not like about squares -

  less movement/music connection due to lack of strict phrasing
  having to listen to the caller breaks the movement/music connection
  teaching time
  mixer squares breaks the partner connection
  visiting squares leave people "out of the dance" for long periods.

I find squares and contras completely different.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 11:47 AM, George Mercer via Callers <

--
Cary Ravitz
caryravitz at gmail.com