[Callers] More on Programming

George Mercer via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Jun 24 08:47:27 PDT 2015

I may not be a good example or even that good a caller, but ... I like
swings, I have no need to have a neighbor swing in every dance and most
certainly don't care where in the dance the neighbor swing happens.  That's
making up rules for the sake of having rules.  I like the buzz step, but to
put it mildly there are many dancers with whom a buzz step is impossible,
difficult or merely uncomfortable.  I teach a walking swing and sometimes
demonstrate a buzz step with a little time for practice. Far too many
callers and beginner workshop instructors teach a buzz step in a way that
promotes bouncing, which in turn makes swinging difficult or worse. I've
also heard more than one caller-instructor tell dancers that to "give
weight" (an inadequate term) they should lean back. Just kill me. As a
dancer, I often combine a walking swing-with a buzz step -- especially if
we have gotten out of sync with the music. I come down on to the floor when
I think it's required. On two occasions recently while dancing, the person
I was dancing with said, "Well, this a dance the caller has never actually
danced before. If she or he had, she or he wouldn't have chosen it." Amen.
I was at an dance recently where a mixer was called near the end of the
evening. I'm not sure what that was all about. Once early in my limited
calling career,just as the first dance got underway about 20 newcomers
walked in. I then called several dances without swings, just to get them
acclimated to moving in rhythm and with the music.  I'll never do that
again.  I was too cautious and shouldn't have been. I honestly was afraid
the experienced dancers were going to hurt me. And they say I can't learn.
Perhaps my biggest peeve on the dance floor is the experienced dancers who
insist on sharing their bad dance habits (swinging backwards, excessive and
unexpected twirling -- I almost wrote twerking --, inappropriate dipping,
showing how athletic and fancy they are, etc.) with new dancers rather than
helping them learn the basic fundamentals, timing and courtesy. I love
squares. Not everyone does, but I often explain to people in my square,
"squares are just like contras, only you have to listen."  And finally,
callers, please stop telling people that when they reach the end of the
line, "they're out."  This seems to encourgae dancers to think, "Well now,
I don't have to pay attention." While they are on the floor they should
"stay in the dance." That just may be me.  Thanks, George