[Callers] More on Programming

Perry Shafran via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Jun 24 06:07:38 PDT 2015

Some thoughts on this:
I go to callers workshops and sometimes I hear different things from different people.  I went to a caller's workshop one time where the leader told us that the best dances are ones that have a partner AND a neighbor swing, AND that the partner swing MUST come second because it's more satisfying.  I think some callers suggest programming to satisfy the experienced dancers and some callers (like Tom) suggest programming that is mainly targeted to help new dancers come along.
FWIW, I prefer Tom's approach.  You don't know how many times that I have seen callers - good, well-respected callers - start off with somewhat of a challenging dance that is not very approachable for beginners.  I know as a caller I like to build up my program from super brain-dead easy at the start and build from there.  Nice Easy Contra is an excellent choice.

Variety is important to me too.  I think in a hall like Glen Echo that an unequal dance MAY not be a good idea but in most halls, why not?  And I agree with Tom's thoughts about dances with only one swing.  Someone once said if your dance only has one swing it had BETTER contain enough interesting moves to make it worth it.  I think this goes to Tom's point of being afraid of dancers.  I think there are some callers who teach new callers to be afraid of dancers so you'd better give them what they want if you expect to be hired again.

I do think that today's dance crowd really desires certain types of dances and I don't see anything wrong in giving them what they want.  But the dancers also need to understand that this is brand new for new dancers and that we need to start slow and brain-dead before we move on to more intricate figures.  These "anchor" dances are very important even though to the experienced dancer it's not very interesting, but to the new dancers it might be the hardest thing they've ever done.

As for Tom's notes about people not complaining, it's pretty much a fact that some of the most well-known callers (like Tom) don't hear griping because they have some "political capital" to spend because of their respect in the dance community.  Some of us who don't have that yet hear it.

I once called a program with maybe 3 dances with no neighbor swing, and I heard it from several people.  I have heard others callers with more of a national brand come through and call similar dances and no gripes.
Perry