[Callers] content of introductory lesson

Dave Casserly via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Jun 23 09:02:38 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I've included John's comments below, but thought I'd start a new thread on
introductory lessons, which is sort of the bigger picture of what we talk
about when we talk about a caller teaching the swing.

I don't call much, but I still teach introductory lessons before weekly
dances every now and then.  In my community, it's pretty common for local
callers (or even some local dancers who aren't callers) to teach the lesson
when there's an out-of-town caller booked for the night.  I think this
system has advantages and disadvantages: as an organizer, I like being able
to control what goes in the lesson, since, as discussed below, I have some
fairly strong opinions on what makes an introductory lesson welcoming and
successful, but if I were a traveling caller calling my home dance, I would
feel at a disadvantage if I could not tailor the lesson the program I
intended to call.

So, what do you all focus on when teaching the lesson?  It seems from the

- teach the moves that are most difficult for dancers to get (right and
left through, ladies' chain)
- teach the moves in proportion to how many times you call them during the
night (swing, allemande, circle)
- teach the moves that will mess you up the most if you don't do them right
(half promenade across, half chain, half anything, really)
- teach skills, such as sharing weight

My approach is really to do none of these.  I do teach dancers how to share
weight, and generally teach it in the context of a circle, then a two hand
walk around with one other person, then a buzz-step swing.  If I have time
after that I may quickly go through a few other moves, but I don't consider
that a necessity.

Instead, what I focus on is teaching newcomers to dance with a variety of
partners, ask experienced dancers to dance, listen to the caller, look up
for help when lost, and clap to show their appreciation for the performers
at the end of each dance.  I tell them explicitly what I think is most
important and what I am there to help them get out of the night: I want
nobody to get hurt, and I want them all to have a good time.  At the end of
the lesson, I will even try to point out experienced dancers who I think
the newcomers should dance with at some point.  I tell the newcomers that
they should dance each dance with a different person, that it is totally
fine to sit dances out if they need a break, and that if somebody asks them
to dance but they don't want to dance with that person, simply say "no
thank you."  I also identify members of the dance committee who are in the
room in case they have any questions at all or have any problems during the
dance, and again stress to them that we are here to help them have a great
time.

The way I view it, if I teach 20 moves in a 30-minute lesson, the newcomers
will not remember those moves after an hour of dancing.  If I teach them
that the community is committed to ensuring they have a safe, fun dancing
experience, and that experienced dancers will help them through the rest, I
think that is 90% of what helps newcomers get the most out of their first
dance.

Obviously, my view of how the lesson should be only works in communities
with a lot of experienced dancers.  I'd never be able to get away with
teaching a lesson without telling anybody what an allemande is if the hall
is full of beginners.

-Dave
Washington, DC

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 2:13 AM, John Sweeney via Callers <

David Casserly
(cell) 781 258-2761