[Callers] Buzz Step Swing

Perry Shafran via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Jun 22 06:26:13 PDT 2015

Wow this certainly has been quite the thread since I have been away, but I have some thoughts about teaching the swing and teaching the lesson in general.
I have been told that new dancers can memorize at most 3 or 4 new things from a lesson, so I'm not going to try to inundate them with a lot of new stuff/jargon/etc.  My goal is to get them to know the structure of the dance but also to relax and note that whether they do things properly or not is not the point, but to enjoy the experience.
As for the swing - I do demonstrate the buzz step but I don't necessarily say that it's better than the walking step.  I have them try both and let them give the option.  I do a swing demo where I walk and the other person buzzes and note that it's just as nice if you are giving good weight.  Of course good weight during a swing is also important - I note that both people in the swing need to give weight, but I don't belabor that fact and let them try it a few times with different people to get the feel of it.  Perfection is not a must, even good form isn't all that important to me, just that they get the feel of it and end with the proper person on the right.
I teach very few moves during a lesson.  Usually do-si-dos, but I don't belabor that, and allemandes, swings and chains.  That's about it - those are things you can pretty much expect in almost every dance out there.  Everything else can be taught during the course of a dance.  I focus on weight and on dance structure - lining up, progression, hall geography, up and down, etc - because those are things they will need to know for every dance.

One thing that is starting to bug me is seeing heys taught in the workshop.  I find that a waste of time. I know that some callers feel that it needs a lot of explanation so they do it in their workshops, but how many heys do you have an evening usually?  Two maybe, perhaps even three.  I feel that's best taught during the course of the dance with experienced dancers pointing the way, and even if they don't do it right, as long as they know where to be and who to be with when the hey is over, that's golden for me.
I agree with Tom - let's not give the dancers a lot to focus on right at the start.  Let them relax and let them know it's just a dance and if they don't get it exactly right, enjoy the experience and keep on coming back and you'll get better.
Perry