[Callers] Buzz Step Swing

Aahz Maruch via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Jun 21 20:35:07 PDT 2015

[rearranging quoted parts to make provenance clearer -- which is one
reason I strongly prefer inline quoting ;-) ]

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015, Maia McCormick via Callers wrote:
>> On Jun 21, 2015, at 3:44 AM, John Sweeney via Callers <callers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I found it interesting that Ron said, "the buzz-step swing gets axed
>>> if I'm short on time".  If I only had time to teach one thing then
>>> the only thing I would teach would be the buzz-step swing, and how
>>> to finish it so you end up in the right place.  I can't think of
>>> anything else that newcomers can't learn during the walk-throughs.
>
> Tom, at a guess, Aahz is not talking about NOT spending time on
> the swing, nor about neglecting to teach dancers how to start/end
> one--just that the finer points of technique aren't a priority for the
> beginner's lesson.

Actually, I was.  I was responding to John's point above.  My dancing
experience is that a lot of newbies do end up sashayed and that it
causes fewer problems than some other kinds of miscues.  (Although I'm a
new caller, I've been doing contra for more than a quarter-century.)

> Of course any teacher worth their salt will teach that a swing always
> ends with the lady on the right. But I think all Aahz is saying is
> that, IF the dancers end the swing with the lady on the right, it
> doesn't really matter how they get there--fumbling through a swing
> happens, and it's easy to recover from, while moves that involve the
> rest of your hands-4 or the rest of the set have potential to cause
> way more disruption to the dance if botched.

That is true, but it's also true IMO that dancers ending up on the wrong
side of the set causes more problems than ending up sashayed after
swinging.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/