[Callers] Buzz Step Swing

Maia McCormick via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Jun 21 10:52:56 PDT 2015

Tom, at a guess, Aahz is not talking about NOT spending time on the swing,
nor about neglecting to teach dancers how to start/end one--just that the
finer points of technique aren't a priority for the beginner's lesson. Of
course any teacher worth their salt will teach that a swing always ends
with the lady on the right. But I think all Aahz is saying is that, IF the
dancers end the swing with the lady on the right, it doesn't really matter
how they get there--fumbling through a swing happens, and it's easy to
recover from, while moves that involve the rest of your hands-4 or the rest
of the set have potential to cause way more disruption to the dance if
botched.

I agree that the buzz-step is not the be-all, end-all of contra swing! I've
been dancing for going on 5 years and I pretty much exclusively walk-swing,
because I find it more comfortable and easy to control, and don't actually
like swinging extremely fast.

John mentions the bad habits that even experienced dancers may have while
swinging, such as:

- grip, clamp, squeeze, hang, press
- hold their partner in the wrong place so it is uncomfortable
- use too much strength and try to do silly things like making their
partners feet leave the floor
- lean sideways or backwards
- start twirls too late and when they are facing the wrong way so that they
end up in the wrong place

I find it pretty telling that this list of habits actually has nothing to
do with footwork! In my opinion, the reason to teach walking swing instead
of buzz-step to beginners is that there's SO MUCH ELSE to concentrate on.
The more things we can abstract away, the easier a time beginners will have
learning what's left. If you're focusing on strange new footwork (and I
find that buzz-stepping beginners tend to think that the buzz-stepping is
the most important part of the swing, and concentrate more on that than on
their frame), it's harder to pick up things like giving weight, a proper
hold, etc. But everyone already knows how to walk!

I would also add that I would much rather dance with someone doing a
funky/odd/strange/unpracticed walking swing than a
funky/odd/strange/unpracticed buzz step. I find that there are fewer ways
to mess up a walk, and that there's less potential for your partner to be
uncomfortable or perhaps harmed than with one of those galloping,
out-of-control excited-pony buzz step swings.

Just my two cents!

Cheers,
Maia

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Amy Wimmer via Callers <