[Callers] Buzz Step Swing

Bob Green via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Jun 21 09:34:44 PDT 2015

On Jun 21, 2015, at 5:44 AM, John Sweeney via Callers <

Yes, of course I always tell dancers that they can walk instead of buzz, but

the buzz-step is so much more fun that it seems crazy not to teach it when

every dance is going to have a swing and usually two.

I see a workshop coming on: "The Art of the Walking Swing".  While I think
it is true that it is probably easier for most people to get a swing "up to
speed" with a buzz step, a skilled walking swing has a slightly subtly
different but every bit as exhilarating feel as a buzz step. From this
discussion it appears it is becoming a lost art. I am going to try an
experiment - walking swings only for the rest of June.

To me, what makes for a good swing is a balance of forces, and that is the
piece that is both difficult to teach and difficult to maintain. I can't
even count how many times I have gotten feedback from folks who tried
contra but didn't go back because people insisted on high speed buzz step
swings until they were so dizzy they wanted to puke. A quote from my early
dance education: A good lead can get their partner to go where they want
them to go. A great lead takes them where they want to go."

I do think it is good to teach the buzz step for those that want it. I got
my teach-the-swing technique from Becky Hill, and it has proven to be just
about bullet proof. It starts with ring-around-the-Rosie to develop the
idea of the balance of forces and negotiating the pace with the person you
are dancing with. While maintaining that balance of forces in the
traditional man's  women's right, you walk into ballroom hold. The buzz
step is taught like a left-foot propelled scooter. It can be practiced
first without holding a partner to get the coordination and timing. I have
never tried teaching the buzz step out of ring around the Rosie, but I
think I will try it next week.

Interesting discussion. Thanks,

Bob Green