[Callers] Buzz Step Swing

Aahz Maruch via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Jun 21 06:06:26 PDT 2015

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015, John Sweeney via Callers wrote:

> Question: If you were calling for a group with a dozen newcomers in the hall
> out of 100 people, and the organizers said you could have two minutes
> teaching before you started the first walk-through, what would you teach?
> For me the answer is obvious, every dance has a buzz-step swing; teach a
> buzz-step swing.
>
> Another reason for teaching swinging is that there are a significant number
> of "experienced" dancers who have bad swinging habits.

How often does it happen that you get to do your teaching to the entire
hall?  IME, the teaching rarely reaches the experienced dancers.

Another point is that aside from the issue of where the swing ends,
swings create minimal change on location or formation, so wrong swings
have little effect on the overall structure/flow of the dance.  What I
see most teaching sessions concentrating on is Ladies Chain and R&L Thru,
both of which move dancers around and rely on correctly doing courtesy
turn -- and which a lot of new dancers have trouble with.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/