[Callers] Buzz Step Swing

John Sweeney via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Jun 21 03:44:24 PDT 2015

Yes, of course I always tell dancers that they can walk instead of buzz, but
the buzz-step is so much more fun that it seems crazy not to teach it when
every dance is going to have a swing and usually two.

<Digression:> Yes, I love swinging, and have been loving it for fifty years
now, but why does every new dance have to have two swings?  Oh no, not
Neighbour Balance & Swing, Circle Left 3/4, Partner Swing again - that's
half the dance gone with nothing new or interesting in it! (And changing the
Circle Left 3/4 to Men/Ladies Allemande 1 & 1/2 does not make it more
interesting!)  I write lots of dances with one or zero swings - a zero-swing
dance can have so much good stuff in it that the dancers don't even notice
there is no swing; they are having too much fun. It always puzzles me when
people take a great one-swing dance and re-choreograph it to add a second
swing, losing part of what made it a great dance just for the sake of even
more swinging. <End of digression.>

I found it interesting that Ron said, "the buzz-step swing gets axed if I'm
short on time".  If I only had time to teach one thing then the only thing I
would teach would be the buzz-step swing, and how to finish it so you end up
in the right place.  I can't think of anything else that newcomers can't
learn during the walk-throughs.

Question: If you were calling for a group with a dozen newcomers in the hall
out of 100 people, and the organizers said you could have two minutes
teaching before you started the first walk-through, what would you teach?
For me the answer is obvious, every dance has a buzz-step swing; teach a
buzz-step swing.

Another reason for teaching swinging is that there are a significant number
of "experienced" dancers who have bad swinging habits.  I dance all over the
USA and the UK and wherever I go there are always some people who:
- grip, clamp, squeeze, hang, press
- hold their partner in the wrong place so it is uncomfortable
- use too much strength and try to do silly things like making their
partners feet leave the floor
- lean sideways or backwards
- start twirls too late and when they are facing the wrong way so that they
end up in the wrong place
- etc.

If just a couple of those dancers pick up on any of these points and improve
their swinging then you have done good work!

Yes, I hate it when callers talk too much and take time out of dancing time.
But this can be really short:

Sample teach:
= = = = = = = =
Hi, I'm John.  We have some new people here today and they are going to
spend half an hour swinging tonight, so please let's spend a minute or two
on showing them how it's done.  And all you great dancers out there why not
see if you can't make your swing even better for you and your partners.

This is called a buzz-step swing.

First, let go of you partner completely. Put your left toe just behind your
right foot like this. Now walk fast on the spot. Now push with your left
foor as though you were on a skateboard and turn clockwise by yourself on
the spot. Relax your knees so you don't bounce up and down.  See how
smoothly.you can turn with the minimum of effort.

Now take your partner in a ballroom hold - the man's hand on the lady's
shoulderblade - it is far more comfotable for the lady if you hold them up
high.  Now relax - make sure you are not pressing on any part of your
partner.

And swing - it should be a gentle embrace where, as a single counterbalanced
unit, you glide smoothly and effortlessly around. Smile at your partner and
you won't get dizzy.

Now think of your joined hands as an arrowhead and finish pointing at the
other couple.

If you are having trouble with the buzz-step then you can always just walk.

I just timed that and it took less than 90 seconds. Surely that is worth
doing!

Yes, some of them won’t get it, but for those who do you have just greatly
enhanced their enjoyment of the evening.

Anyway, that's what I think. :-)

Happy dancing,
John

John Sweeney, Dancer, England john at modernjive.com 01233 625 362