[Callers] How to Describe a Ricochet Hey

Kalia Kliban via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Fri Jun 19 11:45:58 PDT 2015

On 6/19/2015 4:04 AM, Tom Hinds via Callers wrote:
> I'm asking myself why not demo a ricochet?  In my mind there are some
> advantages to demonstrating a move instead of describing it (or doing
> both with a wireless mic).
>
> My experience is most contra callers are highly educated and have
> exceptional verbal skills.  Maybe some callers don't value a good
> demonstration.  Or is a demonstration too beneath some of us?  One of my
> calling students told me that I failed as a caller because I
> demonstrated a move.

Why should you be limited to only one way of explaining a move?
Demonstrations are incredibly powerful teaching tools.  I use demos a
lot, mostly for moves that are a little out of the ordinary, or when
there's a particular thing in the move that I want to stress.  And when
the caller is demonstrating, say, a ricochet hey, they're also
demonstrating a lot of other things in the process -- good eye contact,
hand connections, tracking on the other dancers...

Kalia