[Callers] Box - Swat - CA - Jersey/Nevada

Aahz Maruch via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Jun 18 07:22:51 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015, susanelberger via Callers wrote:

> It seems that we have already gone pretty far down that path. Every
> time I look at dance with odd calls, "slice and dice" being one
> recently posted, along with the various place name twirls, it troubles
> me deeply. I have to remember that one of the joys of contra dancing
> compared to MWSD is that, at least theoretically, anyone can walk in
> off the street and dance. The more we create esoteric names for calls
> the less possible that becomes.

Emphasizing Colin's comments:

At the MWSD caller convention this year, Clark Baker ran a "zesty contra"
late-night session, where he taught the dances, then used recorded music
with Lisa Greenleaf's calling overlaid.  One of the points he was
demonstrating was how easy some of the more difficult MWSD figures are
when you teach them in "isolation" as part of a single dance
(particularly in terms of the constant repetition).

In the end, it's not how esoteric the name is, but how well-constructed
the figure is for smooth dance flow and how well you fit the figure into
a complete dance.
--
Square/Contra Caller                                    http://caller.aahz.ws/