[Callers] Box - Swat - CA - Jersey/Nevada

Richard Hart via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Jun 14 09:48:09 PDT 2015

The hands vs. hands fee dichotomy is an interesting one for contra
dance callers. Contra dane callers are calling for halls filled with
some combination of experienced dancers and absolute beginners. With
hands free moves, some absolute beginners can be in the next set
before anyone notices the problem.  When I see that the room is filled
with beginners, I try to avoid hands free moves (allamande L rather
than do-si-do, for example).

I've considered writing an entirely hands free dance, as an example,
along with a very similar dance that used hands for the corresponding
moves. The hands free dance would certainly need to used only at an
expert-only dance.