[Callers] Box - Swat - CA - Jersey/Nevada

Neal Schlein via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sat Jun 13 14:12:19 PDT 2015

There are many others out there, as well.  I can't name one where you
swap and then face, but I'm sure there was one.  Take a look through
Burlson's Square Dance Encyclopedia to find it.  With a squares group
I'd call it as "California Twirl/Partner Trade and Roll To Face,"
although I think Trade and Roll would suffice.

Lots of figures were developed (with multiple names) between the 1940s
and 1980s, but they are no longer on the active call lists.
CallerLab's preference in recent years has been to eliminate calls
that are mirror duplicates and go with the phrase "left."  For
example, Swat the Flea is now known only as "Left Box the Gnat," a
"Nevada Twirl" is now "Left California Twirl," and "Seesaw" (except in
the case of the combined "seesaw round your courner, dosado your own")
is now "Left Dosado."  I learned THAT one when I tried to use Seesaw
in Arizona and the dancers got mad at me...I told them to just do it
anyway.

Other figures:

Curlique: As Box the Gnat, trading places, but only change facing by
1/4 right-face instead of 1/2.  In a contra, this would set you up for
a box circulate if done along the lines or for a march along the
set/walk and dodge progression if done across.  There was a left-hand
version of that, but I don't recall the name.

Left Star Thru: A Star Thru done with Men's left, Lady's right hands.
I'm sure it had an older name, but I don't know it.  (As Erik said, in
a Star Thru the dancers make an arch with the indicated hands and pass
by with the lady going under the arch; while trading positions, they
also both turn their facing 1/4 in the direction of the joined hand.
This ends with them facing the same direction)

Interesting note: Star Thru is one of the few figures in modern
squares which by definition CANNOT be done by two facing people
dancing the same gender role.  Box the Gnat is another, and possibly
California Twirl depending on the exact definition.  The
gender-neutral replacements are Slide Thru and Partner Trade.