[Callers] Another approach to Gender Free calling

Aahz Maruch via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Jun 4 20:25:26 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 03, 2015, Andrea Nettleton wrote:

> I'm pretty sure contra is more popular than ECD everywhere, and most
> ECD groups call to gents and ladies as well as corners, partners,
> neighbors, so I doubt this is the issue.  That the music often sounds
> classical rather than modern is one issue, that you only flirt with
> eyes and fingertips is another.  It's more cerebral, less athletic.
> It's a different high, which aligns less well with tastes of our age
> than contra.  You are the first person I have heard say that they
> dislike ECD because discreet roles are less necessary.

No, what I said was that I think that *part* of my dislike of ECD comes
from the use of positional descriptions.  That is, I find it difficult to
remember what "first corner" and "second corner" mean, and I think that
the difficulty many people have with contra corners means that this is a
common problem.

I note that I seem to be much better at articulating my difficulties than
many people, so I am not at all surprised if you've never heard anyone
else complain this way.

I also note that I'm a square and folk dancer (I've been doing contra,
square, and folk for more than a quarter century), so it's not exactly the
case that more cerebral and less athletic are negatives for me.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/