[Callers] Another approach to Gender Free calling

Erik Hoffman via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Jun 3 11:48:48 PDT 2015

I've been skimming the Another Approach thread, as I haven't had time to
really process it, though I look forward to examining the ideas,
internalizing concepts, and using it.

But, on the point of having different ways to say things, YES!

When I'm dancing, I never try to teach in the walk through. I might ask
the caller a question. And I hate it when a caller says something like
(as happened recently), "end the hey and stand back to back with your
partner.... No, back to back.... No, on the other side, and stand back
to back..." and on and on, not really seeing how people were
misinterpreting this, doing exactly what she said, but now how she
wanted them to do it. Another unnamed caller used to say, after
describing something in a very ambiguous manner -- in a way I could
interpret in a variety of ways, did in fact, and I was incorrect -- and
then would say, in effect, "Dancers, you're just not listening to me!"

I always look, both during the walk through and during the dance, and
try to see what is confusing to dancers, and adjust my instruction to
their need in a general way.

Devices I use:
     Room Geography! Does one wall have windows, the other not? Turn
your back on the band, or face the band. Etc.
     Partner: Face your Partner or Neighbor
     And all the conventional ones: Right, Left, Up, Down, Middle, Outside
Even with these "standard" ones, I try to think, "if someone doesn't
understand "outside," how else can I say it? It might be, "step outside
the set, that is, take a step away from your partner."

Always, look for different ways to say moves, and hone in on the one
that will help those in need.

~erik hoffman
     oakland, ca