[Callers] Another approach to Gender Free calling

Aahz Maruch via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Jun 3 09:02:43 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 02, 2015, Andrea Nettleton via Callers wrote:

> English callers and dancers clearly have no trouble saying or
> understanding these terms.  If they were that awkward, they would long
> since have been replaced.  I think we see positions as roles purely
> from habit.  If I taught a roomful of kids who had never danced using
> no roles, would they think of having danced a role?

Possibly you're seeing selection bias in English.  At least in the SF Bay
Area, contra is more popular than English, and I wonder how much of that
difference is due to this issue.  (This discussion is making clear that
a significant chunk of my ECD dislike is due to this issue.)
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/