[Callers] Another approach to Gender Free calling

Dave Casserly via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Jun 1 07:21:39 PDT 2015

This is a relatively common thing to do in ECD, called global terminology
<http://heatherandrose.org/terms.shtml>.  I attended an open calling event
on Saturday night that was billed as gender-free, and there were two dances
that used no role identifiers at all, if I recall right.  It works well for
some dances-- basically any dance that does not have something that the
roles do with the other person of the same role (gents allemande, ladies
chain, etc).  You can even fudge it a bit by saying "chain" instead of
"ladies chain" and using moves like pass through to a wave, then turn "in
the middle," etc.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 6:43 AM, Amy Carroll via Callers <

> Jim - I don't think I am alone in wondering how you managed this without
> telling the dancers. I take that to mean you didn't make it gender free by
> the terminology you used (jets or whatever) but by the kinds of dances you
> chose.  I'd love to read more details about what this entailed.
>
> Please share more!
>
> Amy
> 206 330 7408
> Amy at calleramy.com
>
> On Jun 1, 2015, at 5:37 AM, Jim Hemphill via Callers <
>
> The recent discussions on this topic inspired me to try an experiment in
> gender free calling.  Last night I called the contra dance in St. Louis
> using gender free calling without telling anyone.    The experiment was a
> great success.  I received lots of  positive feedback on the evenings
> dance.  At the break and after the dance I made a point to ask several
> dancers, some were callers as well, if they noticed anything different or
> unusual about the dances or how I taught them.   One person noticed that
> there were more dances that included a swing in the center for couple 2
> than usual.  No one I talked to noticed that the calls and teaching were
> gender free.
>
> It took some extra time to construct a fun, diverse 3 hour program, but it
> is certainly possible.  Re-labeling the dancers is not the only way to call
> gender free.
>
> If you are interested in the program I used or the larger collection of
> gender free dances I chose the program from, send me an email,
> arcadian35 at gmail.com.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Hemphill

David Casserly