[Callers] "Flash Mob" dances

Amy Wimmer via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Jul 27 12:01:22 PDT 2015

There is an ongoing outdoor summer dance in Seattle. It typically happens
once every month during the summer. Dances are done on the grass. The
organizers set up an all-comers band (I think there's a designated leader)
and it's all callers welcome, too, with one sort of in charge. Someone has
a portable sound system they bring for the caller. The dance is at a very
popular park (Green Lake) where people go to walk/run around the small lake
for exercise. Lots of foot traffic there.

Most of the dances called are relatively simple, but there has been a good
crowd of experienced dancers who show up and invite lookers-on to join.

They set up a sign that invites people to join in, and leave fliers there
for the area dances for folks to take. Dancers will often stand/sit out a
dance and go chat with those who are watching. I don't know how many join
in, but they certainly notice how much fun everyone is having. I've invited
people to come to our regular indoor dances where there are beginners'
sessions (this usually makes people more comfortable) and I know of at
least ONE person who came to the Friday dance because she had seen us
dancing at the lake.

It's great P.R. and a good community-building event.

-Amy

On Jul 27, 2015, at 11:07 AM, Mac Mckeever via Callers <

What we do and what I think Alan is referring to is a bit different.  He
already has a critical mass of experienced dancers - so he can do beginner
level contras and even a bit above that level.  You often end up with about
1/3 new dancers.

We have done this many times without having to go to one night stand type
dances.  It is really good at encourage the new people to attend a regular
dance.  We have often set up in areas where there is good cultural
diversity to help us out in that area.

We used to do about one a month in good weather - but have tapered off
lately.  We need to start these up again.

Mac Mckeever