[Callers] Origins of East Meets West

John Sweeney via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Jul 21 02:25:22 PDT 2015

I am going through some old English Dance & Song magazines and found this
from December 1964:

= = = = = = = = = = = = =
East Meets West
This dance has been in vogue for many years now and in response to repeated
requests, we reprint it here. It was composed, we understand, by Ralph Page
after a visit to the west coast of the U.S.A. and called " East Meets West '
as the dance incorporates certain west coast square dance movements within
the framework of a New England style contra.

Formation: duple improper.
Music: 32 bar reels (see note below) although some prefer jigs.
A.1. Lines of four move down the room (holding hands, ones between the
twos), turn towards
contrary and return, bringing twos in front of ones (progression).
A.2. Circle four, left and right.
B.1. Western style do-paso, i.e. men turn contrary lady with left hand,
cross and turn partner with
right hand, cross again and turn contrary lady with left hand straight into
B.2. Half promenade across, and half right and left back.

NOTE: if the tune " Little Old Log Cabin " (Swing Partners, p. 7) is used,
the following singing call might
be found useful :

Oh go down in fours together,
turn round and come back home,
To that little old log cabin in the lane,
Then you circle to the left
and then you circle back again
To that little old log cabin in the lane.
Allemande left your corner;
allemande right your own
And give left hand to that corner girl again.
Then you promenade across the set
and right and left back home,
To your little old log cabin in the lane
= = = = = = = = = = = = =

But Zesty Contras (1983) says:

= = = = = = = = = = = = =
East Meets West (by Herbie Gaudreau)
Contra; Improper
A1 Neighbour Allemande Left 1/2; Ladies' Chain; Ladies' Chain back
A2 Circle Left; Circle Right
B1 Neighbour Allemande Left; Partner Allemande Right; Neighbour Allemande
Left
B2 Half Promenade; R & L Through
Only a decade ago this was a very innovative dance
= = = = = = = = = = = = =

The reference to a "decade ago" seems to imply that Herbie wrote the dance
around 1973.  But the version at the top claims to be old in 1964.

They are obviously the same dance since they have the same name and only
differ in the A1 (and I can understand why the A1 was changed as the
transition from R&L Thru into Lines of Four doesn't appear to be
particularly smooth!).

Does anyone know any more about the history of this dance and its various
versions?

Thanks.

Happy dancing,
John