[Callers] Help for a caller

Colin Hume via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Jul 15 06:00:16 PDT 2015

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 18:34:10 -0400, Sister Mary Joseph wrote:
> I'm not sure if the dances I do know are even contras technically.
>  I am pretty much working with the families who come here to Mass
> and am looking to add to the ten or so dances that they already
> know.  Here are a few of our dances.
>
> -The Virginia Reel
> - The Bridge of Athlone
> - Heel & Toe Polka
> - Oh Suzanna

No, they're not contras; they're English Barn Dance repertoire -
though I'm not saying they're all dances from England; Bridge of
Athlone comes from Ireland and Virginia Reel comes from America though
the original was Sir Roger de Coverley which comes from England.
Every Saturday night hundreds of callers in England will be teaching
these at Barn Dances to people who may never have danced before:
school PTAs, Weddings, Scout or Guide parents, etc.

I recommend http://barndances.org.uk/ where Thomas Green which gives
lots of good advice and instructions for lots of good dances.

To find out what the terms mean, I recommend Hugh Stewart's book
"Elements of English Country Dance" which you can find online at
http://round.soc.srcf.net/dances/elements.htm

Colin Hume

Email colin at colinhume.com      Web site http://www.colinhume.com