[Callers] Ferry Boat Contra Ideas

Karin Neils via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Jul 12 22:28:52 PDT 2015

Thematic searches during program preparations have led me to many
delightful dances that I would likely have never encountered.

In preparing for Appleseed Allemande, I discovered that several
choreographers who are beekeepers have written dances that honor bees
with imitative dance moves. When I introduce 'Beauty and the Bees' with
a word of gratitude to pollinators, dancers nod, and some share their
interest as apiarists, and connections are made, and the dance community
is warmed and strengthened.

When the amazing duo of Celador was coming to play for us while on their
debut tour, a conversation with the guitarist revealed the source of the
name - a playful search unearthed the dance 'Cellar Door' - this highly
accessible triple progression dance is a delight on the floor, and it
was a pleasure to give a tip of the hat to this talented and
adventuresome musical duo while introducing the title.   Another night,
the author's inspiration [a discussion of Dorothy Parker's assertion
that the phrase 'cellar door' was the most beautiful sound in English]
sparked entertaining discussion while the band tuned up.

The choreography of the recently shared Anderson Ferry Reel goes a long
way in recognizing the skillful work of the tugs as they jockey the
barges, and recollecting the feel of the current in crossing a mighty
River. A reflective comment while naming the dance and choreographer, on
the art of the dance writer in interpreting the pull of the water
awakens memories in dancers who have fished or kayaked or traveled blue
highways to cross by ferry....

It's about connections.
It's about honoring artists and creativity.
It's about a shared celebration of the world in which we dance.

You're Among Friends
Dancing Raindrops
Harmony Supper Table
Skinny Dippin'
Centennial Reel
Cranberry Muffins
Smooth Sailing
Winter Sleigh Ride
Crickets at Night
. . .
Introducing the name of the dance and the author will often set thoughts
to dancing, along with our feet.

Karin

On 7/13/2015 12:30 AM, Michael Fuerst via Callers wrote:
> Choosing dances with names matching a characteristic of the dance
> event or venue may give the caller a intellectual satisfaction, but
> makes little difference to the dancers.
> An exception would be a dance written for a birthday or wedding or
> similar celebration.
> Michael Fuerst      802 N Broadway      Urbana IL 61801      217 239 5844
>

> On Sunday, July 12, 2015 11:12 PM, Erik Hoffman via Callers
> <callers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
>

> Dancing Sailors is a fantastic dance -- one of my favorites! It's also
> quite tricky. Unless you're calling to experienced dancers, you may
> choose to avoid this dance, with contra corners into a hey where the
> ones are dancing with their partners, but the twos with a shadow in a
> different minor set, it's ripe for beginner, and even experienced
> confusion. Besides being a challenge when in the middle of the set,
> the end effects are tricky, and can easily increase the confusion
> factor...
>
> ~erik hoffman
>     oakland, ca
>
> On 7/9/2015 11:48 PM, Claire Takemori via Callers wrote:
>> Lindsey,
>> I was looking for a fun but easy to call contra and found this one
>> for your nautical theme.  From Rich Goss' collection of dance cards.
>> http://www.quiteapair.us/calling/
>>
>> claire takemori
>>
>> *Dancing Sailors *- Ed Shaw          Proper
>> Reels
>> *A1:*Actives down the outside below two couples
>> Return up the center, cast off
>> **
>> *A2:*Actives turn contra corners
>> **
>> *B1:*Actives with their second corners
>> Hey-for-4 on the diag (actives start pass right sh)
>> **
>> *B2:*Actives swing in the middle (end facing up)

---