[Callers] few dancers dances

Kalia Kliban via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Sun Jul 12 09:40:21 PDT 2015

On 7/11/2015 7:32 PM, Luke Donforth via Callers wrote:
> Levi Jackson! Although the band has to know it...

Not every band is up to this tune, either, even with sheet music in
advance.  A while back Martha Wild suggested that Ragtime Annie (minus
the C part) worked well for this dance, and it's a tune that a lot more
bands might know.  Thanks, Martha, for the suggestion!

> Are you looking for triplets?
>
> Microchasmic
> by Ann Fallon

One of my favorite triplets, and great for teaching contra corners to
newer dancers.

> David’s Triplet #7
> David Smukler
> Formation: Triplet
>
> A1 -----------
> (8) (Couple one around couple two) Lady round two and the gent cut through
> (8) Circle four hands to the left, once around
> A2 -----------
> (16) Neighbor balance and swing (top 2 couples, 3s may swing Ptr if desired)
> B1 -----------
> (8) (Couple one around couple three) Gent around two and the lady cut
> through
> (8) Circle six hands to the left, halfway around
> B2 -----------
> (8) Partner Do-si-do
> (8) Partner swing

The "gent round 2 lady drop through" part moves surprisingly quickly.
If your dancers lag at all during that section, you'll need to adjust
later by dropping out the balance or the dosido.

There's a square set dance by Brooke Friendly and Chris Sackett called
"Banjo in a Bear Suit" that might work well for an adventurous contra
group.  It's another challenging tune that you don't want to surprise
your band with, but as with LJR there may be a more common tune that
would work for this.  It's kind of a mixer.  It's written for English
dancers, hence the turn singles.

Banjo In A Bear Suit
4C sq
A1 1-4  P balance F&B then pass through with a turn single R to meet
someone new at corner of set.
    5-8  Repeat.  Heads and sides have swapped position.
A2 1-8  Actives (current sides) form ring and balance, Petronella R,
balance and Petronella R, then face nearest head person for...
B  1-8  Parallel whole heys for 4 along set, starting by R.
    9-12 In 4s (not the 4 who were in the hey, but 2 from each hey),
R-hand star once around
    13-16 While heads (ends) swing, the actives/sides/middles square
through (starting with the active who was in the star with them, 4 beats
for each change of the square through), ending in a square.

There are some orientation challenges involved in this dance, so it's a
"high five" moment when you get a set all the way through.

Kalia