[Callers] Ferry Boat Contra Ideas

Bill Olson via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Fri Jul 10 12:08:50 PDT 2015

Hi all, FWIW I always like to credit both Ed Shaw and Al Olson for "Dancing Sailors". In "Dance a While" it's written that Al was "a consultant" on the dance, but I'm pretty sure Ted (Sannella), who actually named the dance and was first to call it, told me the following story. Ed and Al, both dance callers, were  members of the same yacht club in the Boston area (this is around 1980/81) and challenged each to write a "hot new dance". They went away and some time later came back with pretty much the EXACT SAME dance, both had the same contra corners, hey on the diagonal and actives swing. I seem to remember the dance that ended up on the cutting room floor had down in fours, return and cast off for the A1. That was probably Al's version and why the dance is credited to Ed..

This is a very nice dance, I wouldn't say it was an "easy dance to call" though...

bill