[Callers] Ferry Boat Contra Ideas

Gary Shapiro via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Jul 8 20:59:10 PDT 2015

Margate Hoy is a simple English dance that can be done quite zestily. "Hoy"
is some kind of ship. I heard somewhere that Margate Hoy was a ferry boat
named for the town of Margate, but I have not found "hoy" defined as a
ferry boat anywhere online (yet). I did find this definition of Hoy from
Dictionary.com:

noun, Nautical
1.
a heavy barge used in harbors.
2.
a vessel of the 17th and 18th centuries, usually slooprigged, used for
fishing and coastal trading.

You can find different takes on the dance on youtube; in particular, one
from a Civil War Ball and another from a Jane Austen convention:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPD2LYYc1bA

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWwLX2qvGg (it doesn't start right away)

Then we have eight children (it's usually a dance for three couples) in a
video you can download (or perhaps just play) from the Constant Billy Trust
schools resource pack:

http://constantbilly.org.uk/Resources/2009%20Resource%20Pack.htm

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 12:35 PM, Lindsey Dono via Callers
callers-at-lists.sharedweight.net |sharedweight-garyes| <