[Callers] Ferry Boat Contra Ideas

Kalia Kliban via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Wed Jul 8 13:13:45 PDT 2015

On 7/8/2015 1:00 PM, Maia McCormick via Callers wrote:
> If you can get the band on-board, any number of sea chanteys are
> contra-tune-able--for instance, Drunken Sailor and South Australia, in
> addition to the sea songs already in the repertoire like Sailor's
> Hornpipe (which turns up in the Popeye theme!). Also, He's a Pirate from
> Pirates of the Caribbean is loads of fun to dance to (I've got a version
> that I engraved if you/the band wants).
>
> As far as dances in the theme, A Pirate's Life for Me by Nathaniel Jack,
> High Seas by Diane Silver, and Captain Shank's Revenge by Maggie Jo
> Saylor all come to mind, and I'm sure there are loads more! (Though my
> favorite part about Captain Shank can be applied to pretty much any
> dance: in a Petronella, instead of clapping, shout "yo ho!")

Andrea Nettleton may have already responded offline, but she's written a
really fun contra called Pirates Across The Atlantic, based on an
English dance called Dancing Across The Atlantic (by Loretta Holz).  The
distinctive opening figure has a chase move that can get really silly.

Did someone already mention Nathaniel Jack's "Walk the Plank"?

Kalia