[Callers] Proactive Management of “Problem Dancers” — Creating a Dance Environment Safe for All

Kalia Kliban via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Dec 14 18:04:56 PST 2015

Thanks for sharing this, Will!  Organizers out there, how many of you
have a coherent contingency plan in place for dealing with issues that
occur at your dances?  How many of you have had to deal with issues on
the fly, making it up as you go?  Those of you that do have a plan, how
did you develop it?  Did it come as a response to a previous issue, or
did you decide to be proactive in advance of anything happening?  Did
your policy come from the top levels of the organization down, or was it
organized by a non-administrative dancer or group of dancers?  Do you
have any sort of script or manual for your door sitters?  Do you include
information in your beginner sessions so your new dancers know who to
talk to if there's a problem?

I'm curious about the varied ways these policies have been implemented.
  Our itty bitty English dance series here in Sebastopol has been pretty
free of drama, but the local contras have had occasional moments of
unwelcome excitement over the years.  It seems like a good idea to get
an organization-wide policy of consent and safety in place.

Does BACDS have such a policy?  How about NBCDS?  If there is one, how
is it expressed, and where?

Kalia