[Callers] Mystery dance from Contracopia

James Saxe via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Mon Dec 7 19:43:39 PST 2015

I believe the correct title for the dance described below by Laur
is "Mange Tak" (not "Mange Talk", "Mongatack", or "Manga Tok").
That's how it's spelled in the 2009 RPDLW syllabus

     http://www.library.unh.edu/special/forms/rpdlw/syllabus2009.pdf

It's the correct spelling for "many thanks" in Danish, which is
what the title is based on.

The dance Maia asked about has a clear resemblance to "Mange Tak"
but also is clearly different, with more balances (which Maia
says she definitely recalls) and with no shadow allemande.  It's
apparently an intentionally written variation, perhaps to achieve
a little simplification, since Maia collected it from Ron
Buchanan's calling, and it's unlikely he would unwittingly have
called a folk-processed garbling of his own dance.  I don't know
whether this variation is one that Ron came up with himself nor
whether it has a more specific title than something like "Mange
Tak (variation)".

--Jim

On Dec 7, 2015, at 6:38 PM, Laur via Callers <callers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:

> Is this it????
>
> Mange Talk By Ron Buchanan Formation: Contra, duple improper
>
> A1 - Give left hand to neighbor : balance and swing
> A2 - Pass through to an ocean wave (see note), balance Allemande right neighbor halfway, gents allemande left halfway, allemande right partner ¾
> B1 - Turn shadow by the left and swing your partner
> B2 - Pass through to an ocean wave, balance Allemande right partner halfway, gents allemande left halfway, allemande right neighbor ¾ to a new neighbor The title is Danish for “Many Thanks.”
>

> To pass through to an ocean wave: start to pass opposite by the right shoulder, ladies catch left hands and turn just ¼ as gents walk all the way to the other side and take right hands with the lady to form a wavy line -of- 4 across.
>
> Laurie P
> West MI
>

> On Monday, December 7, 2015 9:10 PM, Maia McCormick via Callers <callers at lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
>

> Ron Buchanan this one at Contracopia, and it was a lot of fun!
>
> ???, by ??? (becket)
> A1: pass the ocean and balance
> partner R 1/2, gents L 1/2, balance
> A2: neighbor R 3/4, new neighbor swing