[Callers] Family dance questions

Claire Takemori via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Tue Aug 4 03:18:39 PDT 2015

I want to learn to call & share family dances with more kids to spread folk music and dancing in our area (SF bay area, near Santa Cruz).

I've got an opportunity to teach dances for my son's nature class.  It will range in age from 5 to 15 years.  There's an option to work with just 8 years and up for some or all of the dancing.

My questions:

1. Can you recommend some really fun dances for starting out?  The first couple have be great so I can win them over with fun.

2.  I'm wondering how vital music is to the success?  I think really great live music is a major part of my joy of contra dancing.  We are not allowed to use electrical amplification.   I'm wondering if I could use a single fiddler?  	And how do I locate a local fiddler who might volunteer playing?  Maybe a talented youth?

3.  I won't have a mic and will have to use a bullhorn.  Any advice?  I don't have a naturally loud voice, but do sing so I know about projection and belly breathing.

4.  They are thinking of 8 consecutive weeks, once a week for 15-30 minutes (before nature classes head out hiking).   Is 8 weeks a good initial exposure?  How long should each session last, 30 minutes?

5.  We might culminate with a "field trip" to a local barn dance.  Any advice for the preparation for that?

Thanks for any advice!

claire takemori