[Callers] Applause or Not...

Erik Hoffman via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Apr 23 13:12:30 PDT 2015

Sometimes it's hit and miss -- it seems like it's in the stars, no
applause, next time raucous appreciation. Sometimes you know you're not
up to your best, or you can tell the band is lagging or lacking. Still,
that's the night when everyone comes up and says, "Great Dance, That was
Better than Wild Asparagus," (comparagus, as Peter Barnes used to say --
don't know if it happens much any more...). Sometimes you're on top of
everything, the band is hot, your teaching is good, your right with the
music when calling, and people come up and say, "what's wrong tonight."
Sometimes there's not much you can do. But:

As I mentioned earlier, certain communities develop certain habits.

* If I'm dancing, I make sure I applaud with aplomb.
* I do quiet down when the teaching starts.
* I, too, don't teach in the walk-thru. If there really is a problem, I
ask the caller to address it. If I can get away with it, I teach
non-verbally.

(Comments addressing other comments and threads.)

But I do still wonder, how to get a community to alter their habits.
And, if their habit is non-applause on a regular basis, I'd like to
teach them. Habits, one of the most challenging things to alter...

Now, if they looked at each other and bumped hips, or gave each other a
high-five, or hugs all around, as mentioned about square dancing, I'd
take that as applause. But if they just wander off, it still leaves me
wondering.

~erik hoffman
     oakland, ca